Marie Ella Clawson's Family

Clawson's 1905 Restaurant on the Beaufort Waterfront
Before we get into the restoration of the Hatsell-Clawson House, it is important to document what we know of the history of Marie Ella Clawson Hatsell's family. The text below was written by Charles O. Pitts Jr. in 1984 and included in The Heritage of Carteret County, Vol II:
CHARLES ALFRED CLAWSON

Charles Alfred Clawson was born in Sweden, 1841. He came to Beaufort, N.C. on a Revenue Cutter as a young man. He decided to stay and open up a Bakery.

Mary Donavon came to Boston from Cork, Ireland, at the age of seven, with Mrs. Annie Failes and two daughters, Alide and Lillie. The Failes taught school in Boston. Later they came to Beaufort and bought a summer home (now owned by Lucille Rice). Mary came with them.
By this time Mary Donovan was a young lady. She met Charles A. Clawson and they were later married. They had two sons; Charles Alfred Jr., and Warren and five daughters; Christine, Marie Ella, Annie and Lillie. Alida died in infancy.
 
Charles A. Clawson Jr., born 1873, married Jane Pigot Pool, born 1872. They were married 1898. Jane was the daughter of James Harrell and Cinderilla Roberson Pool. Charles and Jane had five sons and one daughter. They were: James Pool, Charles Alfred, William Carlton (who died at age of one year), Frank Doane, Dave Pool and Marie Hinton.

When his father’s health was failing, Mr. Charles (as he was called by many of his friends) with the help of his mother, took over the bakery business in the brick building on the north side of Front Street which he had built in about 1885. He also had a grocery store on the south side of the street. In this store his customers were provided extra services with an ice cream parlor on the second floor, featuring chair swings. The bakery goods were carried across the street to the store.

Around 1908 Charles Clawson built a new brick store on the north side of the street next door to his mother and father’s home. Where his parents’ front yard was, is now [1984] The Men’s Shop and the Ladies Shop.

The store and bakery buildings now [1984] under the ownership of William and Candy Rogers are the home of a very popular restaurant in Beaufort. The original name “Grocery Clawson’s Bakery” now [1984] reads “Cookery Clawson’s Saloon.”
People still remember how good those sweet buns and hot breads use to smell, when they walked by the store and how good they were to eat. Clawson’s cokes were the best in town.
Before motor vehicles came into general use the groceries and bakery goods were delivered around town in a wagon van pulled by a big red horse called “June Bug.” June Bug was very temperamental and one of the better known characters around town. He allowed himself to be hitched and driven only by four men. The delivery man Charley Gibson, Charles Clawson, Jack Neal and Mr. Clawson.

On Sunday afternoon Mr. Clawson would load up the van with his children and their friends and head for Mr. Jimmy Hancock’s home and farm. It was just on the other side of the town gate. He would visit with Mr. Jimmy while the children played; and, during grape season picked grapes.
For many years Clawson’s Grocery and Bakery furnished bread and cakes to all of the Eastern County. When there were no paved roads and very few cars, he sent the orders down east by mail boat and some customers who had motor boats or sail boats would come for their order.
About 1932 Clawson’s closed due to the Great Depression.