Hatsell-Clawson is one of the houses featured in Mary Warshaw's book. Click image for more information.
click for history of plaque
CHARLES IVES HATSELL
Charles Ives Hatsell and Marie Ella Clawson married on 25 December 1902. Their children were Francis Graves Hatsell, Carl Alfred Hatsell and Henry Wilson Hatsell
Two Hatsell Houses in Beaufort Harbor
Descendants of this early Hatchell family, who first settled on theWhite Oak River in 1755, eventually found their way to the Beaufort harbor and built two adjacent houses on Orange Street - The Andrew Lee Hatsell House circa 1827 and the Hatsell-Clawson House circa 1902. This site is a record of the year-long restoration of the 1902 house - originally contracted to C.C. Guthrie by Charles Ives Hatsell for his bride Marie Ella Clawson. Family history helps us understand the people who called these houses home.
If you wish to comment or share more information about these families, click here.
Hatsell-Clawson House circa 1902
Circa 1905 photograph - The home is owned by Robert and Lorena Marshall and was restored by Gerry Sadler.
1968 Photo of House
Photo Courtesy Carol Hatsell Smith
Andrew Hatchell House 1827
This Hatsell house was the first Hatsell house in Beaufort - built on the south half of lot 55. Charles Ives Hatsell house was built on the north half of lot 55
Ancestors on the White Oak River 1755-1874
Hatchell's Point was in and out of the family, but purchased again by James and William Hatsel in 1874. Saunder's Plantation on route to Swansboro, 1863 Drawing by H.E. Valentine,VTImageBase
Hatchell"s Point Neighbors, White Oak River 1863
H.E.Valentine Drawing of Bell's Plantation on Hadnot's Creek at mouth of White Oak River,VTImageBase
1850 Leecraft House Around the Corner on Ann Street
Mounted Orderly 1863
First Marine Lab on Front Street
Windmill Near First Lab
Train Comes to Town 1906
1907 Celebration at the Station
NEIGHBORS & FRIENDS.....
IMAGES FROM CHARLIE AND MARIE'S ERA
1912 on Ann Street
Louise Gordon Thomas with twin brothers Thomas and E.Gordon
Dr. James Manney House circa 1813
Photo taken about 1904-first streetlight
Warshaw Painting of Dr. Manney House
Capt Jack Willis - Friend of Charlie Hatsell
Customers of Capt Jack across from Pivers Island
Capt Jack"s Fishing Shack
West end of Front Street where Charlie must have kept his skiff